How to Prepare the Best Potato Salad, the Ultimate Czech Side Dish
Czech cuisine might not be exactly world-renowned, but we’ve definitely perfected the art of side dishes. You’ve probably heard Czechs talking about their dumplings, which is just one of the possible sides your hearty Czech meal can come with. While dumplings are great for sauces and stews, bramborový salát, or potato salad, is our number one to go with anything fried. I mean, we even eat it with our Christmas Eve dinner!
Where to get a bramborový salát while in Prague?
For an authentic Czech potato salad experience, visit the deli Zlatý Kříž in Jungmannovo Square. With so many varieties on offer, they have definitely one the best salads in the city. Though the yummiest one is always the one made at home, of course.
In fact, the title of the best bramborový salát has become something of a family pride. Each family would have their own secret recipe and they would often compete among each other. The only thing they all agree on is that it should be made in advance – a potato salad needs to be well reposed, preferably overnight. Let’s see if this one will win in your neighbourhood!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup of pickles, chopped
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives or parsley to garnish
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Let them cool down for a few minutes and then peel.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the eggs are hard-boiled.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and put them to a large mixing bowl. Add the onion, carrots, peas and pickles.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, add to the mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and chop them into small pieces. Add the chopped eggs to the potato mixture and mix well to combine.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste and let it sit in a cold environment overnight.
Serve your bramborový salát cold, garnished with chopped chives or parsley. Enjoy!
TIP: Bramborový salát is great with schnitzel or fried fish filet. You can also eat it with any grilled meat or vegetables, barbecue ribs, baked ham, bratwurst or our popular fried cheese.
December 20, 2022