Prague’s Merry Markets Christmas Tour
Duration: 2.5 hours
Meeting point: Náměstí Franze Kafky 24 (Franz Kafka Square no. 24), Prague 1, Old Town. View on Google Maps. Closest metro & tram station is Staroměstská, on the A (green) metro line.
Guests’ pickup is offered for the private group option. Pick up time adjustable upon your request. We will meet you at your Prague hotel lobby. Our guide will be holding a sign with your name.
Ending point: Václavské náměstí (Wenceslas Square ). View on Google Maps.
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide; mulled wine and mead; traditional Christmas snacks; admission to a nativity scene exhibit, public transportation during tour.
Exclusions: Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, transportation to and from the meeting and end points, and tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Small-Group Tour From Ages 15+
- Private Tour Starting from
Christmas in Prague Tour Highlights
Europe’s Christmas markets are like a storybook come to life: twinkling lights, wooden stands selling handmade gifts, mugs of mulled wine and mead. A trip to Prague during the holidays just wouldn’t be complete with a visit to our famed Christmas markets to experience this magic for yourself. On this Prague tour, you’ll explore three of our Christmas markets with a local guide, who will also share with you our history and traditions of the holiday season.
Visit Prague’s main Christmas market as well as two local ones
Sip on mulled wine and mead while snacking on a grilled potato pancake, roasted nuts or other delicious Christmas treats
Discover why Santa doesn’t come here (also, why are girls throwing shoes?!)
Learn about Czech Christmas traditions before and after the 1989 Revolution
Admire Prague’s holiday decorations and enjoy the fairy tale-like atmosphere with a local host
How taking this tour will benefit the local community:
All the stands we visit are 100% owned and run by local Czechs. As we’re in a small group of no more than 10, we don’t disrupt local life. By taking our travellers to off-the-beaten-path locations, we help businesses that would usually not be visited by travellers.
Veselé Vánoce! (That’s Czech for Merry Christmas.) Your Prague Christmas market tour will kick off at Franz Kafka Square (close to Old Town Square), where you’ll meet your local guide and the small group you’ll be travelling with. This will be a cosy, intimate holiday adventure through the streets and markets of Prague – more like a Christmas party with friends than a tour!
Once we’ve said our hellos, we’ll head off together to the first of several Christmas markets. At each one, you’ll sample delightful treats like mulled wine, hot mead and roasted almonds. There will also be at least one other surprise snack that your guide will pick for you based on what looks best from that day’s vendors.
As you wander the markets, your guide will explain to you our local holiday traditions – some of them likely very different from your own! You’ll also learn about how Christmas has changed in the Czech Republic, from before and during the Communist era, to after the 1989 Revolution.
During the tour, we’ll also stop in one of the venues where lovely Nativity Scenes are exhibiting every season and we’ll explain all about this cool tradition and how it came to be so popular in our so secular country.
This is truly a one-of-a-kind Christmas market adventure, filled with stories and traditions, all shared first-hand by a local guide. If you’re in Prague during the holiday season, there’s no better way to experience Czech Christmas culture.
- Our tours run rain or shine. In case of rain, please dress accordingly and bring an umbrella or a raincoat with you. In winter, temperatures can get quite low, remember that and put an extra sweater into your backpack. But remember – it’s your vacation, so if you are cold during the tour, just say so to your guide. There’s always a cafe nearby where you can warm up and then go on with the tour.
- Walking involved in the tours may vary as each tour guide takes a slightly different route (Which means you can take our tours multiple times and always discover something new!). But we still run food and cultural tours, we don’t run marathons. If you lose weight on our tour, we’ll offer a refund :-). However, please do let us know in advance if you do have mobility issues. We can always adjust the itinerary so that not much walking is included.
- Food Allergies: Unless you suffer from multiple, combined food allergies, or unless you are a vegan, we will figure it out. Vegetarians are welcome on all tours. It’s even OK to join our beer and tapas tour even if you don’t drink beer. (Just don’t expect the wine substitute will be of superior quality – we do visit beer-centric places).
- In the restaurants, your guide will be making all the payments, including a tip on your behalf to the staff.
Ms. Samantha B. from Australia travelled on 29 Dec 2019
We just got back from a tremendous evening with Michaela and Theresa on the Christmas market tour. We thought we had done it all with some of the more commercial and popular markets, which were littered with clueless tourists like us – boy were we wrong! They took us to the markets that were much quieter and frequented by locals, and have us a storied history into the many traditions and customs of the Czech people. We always love a good urban adventures tour, and this was no exception. 5 stars, highly recommend! No one knows a country like the locals!